_ash pit_

victor steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jul 19 21:30:20 UTC 2011

I'm going by the definitions in the sources. Ass-hole and ass-pit are
defined to be holes in the ground where the fireplace and other domestic
ashes are carried to to dispose of them. This is specifically contrasted
with dump heaps in some areas, where no hole is dug in the ground for such
disposal. I have no idea what an "ash pit" was in St. Louis when you were
growing up. For all I know, it was a giant dump heap. This does not change
the meaning of what I wrote. In fact, some of the aforementioned glossaries
list ass-hole, ass-pit and ass-midden all together with a single definition
(that includes both dump heap and ash pit)

VS-)