_ash pit_

Wed Jul 20 04:17:04 UTC 2011

Wilson,
Bits of rock-like non-combustible material left after the coal is burned?

Paul Johnston

P. S.  I *liked* the smell of the coal--to me, it was the smell of pretty little small towns in the middle of the Border hills, Christmasy even (since you had fires nearly all year, but especially in the winter).  The age of the black smog was before my time (although every Edinburgh building was still blackened from 200 years of it)--even Glasgow and Newcastle weren't that bad.  The smell of Edinburgh was the smell of the brewery--old, yeasty, stale beer.  That would knock you down if the wind was in the right direction.