the earliest 'asshole'?

Geoffrey Nunberg nunberg at ISCHOOL.BERKELEY.EDU
Wed Jul 20 17:41:15 UTC 2011

Jesse,

Well, of course with 'rectum' there's a register difference so the analogy isn't quite right. Anyway, if I understand what you and Jonathan are saying, the idea is that even if this eg isn't itself metaphorical, it presupposes the existence of an (unattested) metaphorical use. I'm not sure if that would count as grounds for calling something an antecedent, even if the conclusion happened to be true. But it's an empirical question: if you're right then the line won't be an effective put-down to an Italian or French speaker if you substitute the words "buchi del culo" or "trous du cul" in the sentence "God made out of ____ and you can tell if you look at them with their mouths hanging open," but it will work for a German.

BTW, there's a line from The King's Speech that works very nicely as a pun, but is almost certainly anachronistic: It's set in Westminster Abbey in 1936 during the preparation for the coronation of George VI:

King George VI: You can't sit there, get up.

Lionel Logue: Why not? It's a chair.

King George VI: No that is not a chair, that is St. Edward's chair…. That chair is the seat on which every king...

Lionel Logue: I don't care how many royal assholes sat in this chair.

This one does presume a metaphorical meaning, of course.

Geoff