Mark and Phillis [was: coloured folk: to clarify]

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Thu Jul 21 18:18:17 UTC 2011

I agree with what John writes.  Goodell's "The trial and execution,
for petit treason, of Mark and Phillis" is certainly the best
description of the case.  Revere's report is ambiguous; one wishes he
had written "had been" hung in chains.  Goodell takes it as "alluding
to the site of the gibbet as a place well known at that time" (the
point above Charlestown neck where the road to Cambridge began), not
that Revere actually saw Mark's body still hanging.  Although Mark's
body was reported (in 1813) to have remained on the gibbet "until a
short time before the revolution", the latest (I suppose) "certain"
sighting that Goodell reported is 1758, not long after the execution.

Joel