pet peeves

Brenda Lester alphatwin2002 at YAHOO.COM
Fri Jul 22 00:13:36 UTC 2011

It's not a southern regionalism?  Compliment to someone dressed in formal attire:  "You clean up  real good."  (tongue in cheek)

________________________________
From: Dan Goncharoff <thegonch at GMAIL.COM>
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Sent: Thursday, July 21, 2011 1:20 PM
Subject: Re: pet peeves

Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Poster:       Dan Goncharoff <thegonch at GMAIL.COM>

"I'm good" is a typical response to "How ya doin'?" "I'm doin' good" would
be less common, but heard often enough.

"I'm well" might be an answer to a question about health, whether implicit
or direct, but is not likely to be used in response to a question about
one's general state of being.

Just my 2p...
DanG