"forgettable"

victor steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jul 25 04:23:30 UTC 2011

I'm not convinced. I see is more like "we wish it could have been
forgotten". (The reply is both to RB and LH)

Consider this chain. "Unforgettable" means two different thing--someone one
cannot forget and something that is particularly noteworthy. The second one
has nothing to do with forgetting--it's more of an intrinsic property of the
moment.

The antonym to the first one is "forgettable". The second one--not so much.
But it is precisely this combination that spawns this particular instance of
"forgettable"==notorious. So it's actually an UNforgettable moment, but for
the reason that is OPPOSITE of the ordinary UNforgettable moment. Hence it's
the forgettable moment! It's like a cancellation of two un- prefixes.

VS-)