bears with furniture

victor steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jul 25 08:16:32 UTC 2011

In case anyone ever tries to look for the source of the expression (which I
saw in two unrelated blog posts today), a good start would be here (Oct. 18,
1990):

http://goo.gl/72uS6
PUBLIC & PRIVATE; Bears With Furniture
By Anna Quindlen
NYT. Published: October 18, 1990

> Some of the best comedians right now are women, and the best of the woman
> comedians is named Rita Rudner. She does great bits on men, and in one of
> them she says: ''Men don't live well by themselves. They don't even live
> like people. They live like bears with furniture.''

Rudner had used the phrase for some time prior to its appearance in the NYT.
But I did not even try to track down earlier evidence.

VS-)
**