Fwd: Re: _Kiss my grits!_ = "Kiss my ass!," by a writer for The Family Guy

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Jun 1 00:55:03 UTC 2011

>Date:         Tue, 31 May 2011 20:30:33 -0400
>Sender: American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>From: Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at YALE.EDU>
>Subject:      Re: _Kiss my grits!_ = "Kiss my
>ass!," by a writer for The Family
>               Guy
>"Toe cheese" I don't know, although a related form of "cheese" (as in
>crotch cheese) surfaces elsewhere as an alternate realization of
>smegma.

I should have noted that both these referents
fall together in HDAS, s.v. _cheese_ 3:
smegma; (also) grimy matter between the toes

(Since I'm currently listening to a Frank Conroy
audiobook, I found like the lone toe-cite from
Conroy's _The Great Santini_ particularly apt: "I
consider the Navy the cheese between the Marine
Corps' toes".  The other cites are all smegmatic
and hence far more colorful.

Nothing relevant for "grits", though.  And since
we don't have the T volume (curse you, Random
House!), we may never know if "tochus" derives
from the "toe Käse".

LH