braggadocious

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Jun 1 12:44:43 UTC 2011

Culturally I would never have associated "braggadocious" with "the
Sopranos." I'd associate it with "bodacious," "teetotaciously" and
"exflunctify."

In fact, I am now reminded that the word appears in Mezzrow & Wolfe's
classic of dedicated jive-talk whiggery, _Really the Blues_ (1947).

It isn't in HDAS because: 1. only a single cite. 2. I persuaded myself it
was AAVE "dialect," i.e. normal in AAVE, unknown elsewhere.

GB, however, reveals one from the English _Strand_ magazine (birthplace of
Sherlock Holmes) allegedly from 1912: the typeface and style seem right.

The "1913" ex. may be real too, but the typeface makes it suspicious.
Between then and 1947, mostly silence.

I suspect independent invention and reinvention.

JL