Eggcorn: grandeloquent

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Jun 1 17:48:50 UTC 2011

At 10:21 AM -0700 6/1/11, Arnold Zwicky wrote [on Frank DeFord's piece on NPR]:

>from the NPR transcript:
>
>As for professional loathing, Americans don't like the Heat because
>LeBron James, the best player in the game, got Chris Bosh, another
>one of the best, to go join yet another superstar, Dwyane Wade, at
>Miami, thereby creating a cartel instead of a team. It did not help
>that James announced his decision on a tacky TV show where he
>pronounced, grandiloquently, that he was "taking his talents to
>South Beach" - the most notorious athletic statement since Leo
>Durocher said, "Nice guys finish last."

...or didn't quite say it, according to what I've read.  I remember
someone claiming what Leo the Lip said (about the Dodgers) was more
along the ad hoc lines of "Nice guys. They'll finish last."  Fred,
what does YBOQ have for this?

At least we know King James *did* announce that he was "taking his
talents to South Beach", since many of us watched him do so and we
can all revisit the moment on YouTube.  Actually the transcript, if
using direct quotes, *should* have read

"where he pronounced, grandiloquently, that he was 'taking [his]
talents to South Beach'--"

since whatever else we want to jump on LBJ for (yes, he is
increasingly referred to as LBJ), he did use the first and not the
third person to announce The Decision.

LH