OED's "bogey" and "par"

Dan Goncharoff thegonch at GMAIL.COM
Wed Jun 1 21:19:29 UTC 2011

I don't see what you see.

5b says nothing about a line. It says, "The starting-point in a
handicap of a competitor who receives no odds", which I believe to be
correct, at least about golf. In golf, a scratch golfer has a handicap
of zero; a golfer with a twenty handicap has 20 points subtracted from
his score.

Bogey is more complicated, as the use of bogey changed over time, and
several terms (bogey, par, scratch) were used to represent the concept
of a typical score. Par is traced back to 1870 Scotland in the golfing
histories, as a prediction of the winning score at The Open at
Prestwick. Bogey was older, but became an English club standard at the
end of the 19th century.

Starting in 1893 in the US, standards for handicapping on a national
basis were developed, and the definitions of bogie as one over par for
a hole, and par as the expected score of a scratch golfer arose and
were accepted by golfing authorities.

Because the definitions changed over time, all of them are correct in context.

DanG