Not in HDAS?

Thu Jun 2 22:12:43 UTC 2011

Jelly Roll Morton has a line in Winin' Boy Blues, recorded in 1938 and 1939
-- not sure which version I've heard:
Pick it up and shake it like sweet stavin chain.

I have read somewhere (liner notes, perhaps?) that "stavin chain" was the
chain that shackled prisoners in the penitentiary.  I don't know whether
this was a well-founded explanation.

GAT

George A. Thompson
Author of A Documentary History of "The African Theatre", Northwestern Univ.
Pr., 1998, but nothing much since then.