Hyphens and dashes, oh my

Amy West medievalist at W-STS.COM
Sat Jun 4 13:05:37 UTC 2011

On 6/4/11 12:01 AM, Automatic digest processor wrote:
> Date:    Fri, 3 Jun 2011 13:56:08 -0400
> From:    Jocelyn Limpert<jocelyn.limpert at GMAIL.COM>
> Subject: Re: Hyphens and dashes, oh my
>
> conscientious editors care!

And here we have the tension between copy editing and linguistics: was
it Pullum who had an essay about why he hates copy editors in the Great
Eskimo Hoax collection?

I've read Nunberg's Linguistics of Punctuation recently: much went over
my head because I'm short, but very neat patterns he found in applying
descriptive linguistic techniques to analyzing punctuation.

--
---Amy West