sidekick = 'side dish'

Fri Jun 10 12:37:23 UTC 2011

Jonathan Lighter wrote:
>One of the barbecue chains is advertising meals "with two of your
> favorite sidekicks."

Here is a 1994 example of a side dish referred to as a sidekick:

Cite: 1994, Moosewood Restaurant Cooks at Home by The Moosewood
Collective, Page 142, Simon and Schuster: Fireside, New York. (Google
preview)

Grits, made from hominy, are the most appropriate sidekick for certain
Southern dishes and couldn't be easier to make.

http://books.google.com/books?id=76yiLzTTdfIC&q=sidekick#v=snippet&

In 2004 drink ingredients were referred to as sidekicks:

Cite: 2004, The Ultimate Baseball Road-Trip: A Fan's Guide to Major
League Stadiums by Joshua Pahigian and Kevin O'Connell, Page 159, The
Lyons Press imprint of The Globe Pequot Press, (Google Books preview)

Josh recommends the marinated prime filet of sirloin, while Kevin
gives the nod to the bar which features the Flee Flicker (Vodka with
orange juice and a special sweet-and-sour mix with a sidekick of Black
Haus and Blue Curacao), the Quarterback Colada (Malibu rum, a colada
mix, and a sidekick of Midori), and the Shotgun (banana liqueur,
orange, and pineapple juice, with a sidekick of Mad Melon). Just
kidding, Kevin didn't really order one of these girlie drinks with
football names.

http://books.google.com/books?id=FM1YtoSZEnAC&q=sidekick#v=snippet&

Here is a Youtube link to an advertisement for Sonny's Real Pit
Bar-B-Q that refers to "two sidekicks". The video was posted by July
8, 2010:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFp-nkJQDHE

Garson