Colloquialism: to see a man about a dog

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Jun 16 14:30:19 UTC 2011

At 7:43 AM -0400 6/16/11, Joel S. Berson wrote:
>At 6/16/2011 04:10 AM, Wilson Gray wrote:
>
>>On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 1:12 PM, Laurence Horn
>><laurence.horn at yale.edu> wrote:
>>>  I remember it as "see a man about a horse."
>
>IIRC, Larry grew up in NYC.

Right.  Idle speculation:  "see a man about a dog" *could* have been
taken literally, but *see a man about a horse* almost certainly
couldn't have been.  (Yes, there were some police horses around,
but...)

And I only remember hearing it to euphemize a bathroom visit, not for
taking one's leave to enjoy a drink or a romantic dalliance.

LH