Colloquialism: to see a man about a dog

Ronald Butters ronbutters at AOL.COM
Thu Jun 16 16:29:19 UTC 2011

My grandfather (born in the 1880s) excused himself ti urninate by saying he had to shake the dew off his lilly.

"I had to see a man about a horse" was a general deliberately vague excuse, usually given after one had been unexpectedly delayed, and it implied a reluctance (which could include "too trivial to mention, "I don't want to say in front of these other folks," "I'm embarrassed at the reason," and indeed almost anything) to explain why one was delayed.

"I have to see a man about a horse" as a way of excusing oneself to go to the bathroom, would have seemed rather overkill. Why not just say, "Excuse me for a moment"?