actor, actress, star

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Jun 16 19:04:30 UTC 2011

At 11:50 AM -0600 6/16/11, Jonathan Lighter wrote:
>Stupid as it all is, it makes "sense" - in the sense of "how media usage
>mavens think
>
>There's also "pornstress," which didn't turn up (too favorable?).

Or maybe it looks too much like it denotes a disorder requiring
specialized and expensive therapy.

>And would
>anybody say "porn performer"? (Too unfavorable?)

I was thinking of the sex-neutral (but also sex-positive) "pornist",
which does have a number of g-hits, although the intended meaning may
be hard to infer, to judge from an urbandictionary entry:

'a person who is racist about the origin of the man and or woman in a
porn video or against a type of porn such as anal,chubby,gang bang
etc.'

Not what is intended at all.

How about "pornicator? "  (Then we could argue about whether the
dedicated feminine "pornicatrix" is or isn't sexist.)

LH