Term "True Religion"

Sat Jun 18 15:44:04 UTC 2011

Fred Shapiro wrote:

> I would be very interested in pointers to any dictionaries or other sources
> discussing the contemporary meaning of the phrase "true religion."
> My impression is that the contemporary usage of this phrase is often in the
> figurative sense of a deeply held belief of any kind.

The phrase "My true religion is kindness" is attributed to the Dalai
Lama (current incarnation, 14th). This saying may provide a useful
illustration of an extended meaning for the term "true religion."

YBQ contains a quotation from the Dalai Lama, but it is not this one.

Cite: GB Circa 1981, Teachings of His Holiness the Dalai Lama by
Bstan-'dzin-rgya-mtsho (Dalai Lama XIV), Editor Marcia Keegan, Page
unknown, Clear Light Publications. (Google Books snippet; Unverified)

So my true religion is kindness. If you practice kindness as you live,
no matter if you are learned or not learned, whether you believe in
the next life or not, whether you believe in God or Buddha or some
other religion, in day-to-day, you have to be a kind person.

http://books.google.com/books?id=tuEKAAAAYAAJ&q=%22So+my%22#search_anchor

"True Religion" also refers to an expensive fashion artifact: jeans.
Purchase of these items is comparable to the purchase of a stylistic
indulgence within the consumerist creed of adherents.