Idiom: shake the dew off the lily (antedating 1951 probably)

Sat Jun 18 16:36:39 UTC 2011

Ronald Butters wrote
> My grandfather (born in the 1880s) excused himself ti urninate by saying
> he had to shake the dew off his lilly.

The Historical Dictionary of American Slang has this phrase listed
under "dew" with a first cite in 1963:

shake the dew off the lily (of a boy or man) to urinate. Joc.
1963 Ark. man, age ca20 (coll. J. Ball): I got to shake the dew off the lily.

Here are cites that are probably dated 1951 and 1957:

Cite: GB Circa 1951, The Giant by Frederick Feikema Manfred, GB Page
75, Doubleday & Company, Inc., New York. (Google Books unverified;
Worldcat agrees with publication date)

"C'mon, Thurs, shake the dew off your lily and let's get going."

http://books.google.com/books?id=V7xAAAAAIAAJ&q=lily#search_anchor

Prominent comedian and actor Ernie Kovacs used the expression in a