Memorable Quotations for 2011 - candidate courtesy of Conan O'Brien

Thu Jun 23 04:37:19 UTC 2011

In this age of the limited attention span it would have been prudent
to start collecting phrases for 2011 sometime in January. Starting
late, here is a June quotation.

The comedian Conan O'Brien delivered the Commencement Address at
Dartmouth on June 12, 2011. Below is a link to a transcript and a
video. I like the poignant insight of this remark:

There are few things more liberating in this life than having your
worst fear realized.

Here is another comment some found appealing

In 2000 - in 2000 - I told graduates to not be afraid to fail, and I
still believe that. But today I tell you that whether you fear it or
not, disappointment will come. The beauty is that through
disappointment you can gain clarity, and with clarity comes conviction
and true originality.

http://www.dartmouth.edu/~commence/speeches/2011/obrien-speech.html

I was reminded of this quote when I read Wilson Gray's cri de coeur
given below. O'Brien did write for the Harvard Lampoon, but I do not
know if he would recognize a bindle.

 Wilson Gray wote