"dudo", 1840, meaning ???

Fri Jun 24 15:08:59 UTC 2011

The "dudo" was "claimed as the common property" by three women, which
doesn't sound like a pair of dice or a game at dice.
Doesn't sound very much like clothing, either.
I may be in the city next Wednesday, and may have a chance to look at this
article again, to confirm my note, and to get further context.

The newspaper editors of that day liked to be appreciated for being with-it,
and would give their readers a little nudge in the ribs to get their
attention.  They often put new or slangy words into italics, or within
quotes, or introduced them with a comment like "as the boys say" or "to use
a Kentucky expression" -- it has long been my practice to make a note
whenever I see a word highlighted thus.

GAT

On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 3:22 PM, Baker, John <JMB at stradley.com> wrote:

>        Is there any chance that it's the Spanish word dudo, doubt,
> which I understand is a dice game?  That would certainly mesh with the
> italicization, although perhaps this newspaper also italicized ordinary
> English slang words.
>
>        "Duds" is an old slang term, but I would think that "booze,"
> which dates to the 14th century, would also have a claim as the slang
> word with the greatest slangevity (though OED tags it as colloq., not as
> slang).
>

> John Baker

George A. Thompson
Author of A Documentary History of "The African Theatre", Northwestern Univ.
Pr., 1998, but nothing much since then.