Meta-Quote: I really didn't say everything I said (Yogi Berra 1986 February 24)

Sun Jun 26 00:54:21 UTC 2011

A large number of sayings are incorrectly attributed to the famous
baseball player Yogi Berra. One of my favorite meta-quotations that is
correctly ascribed to Berra records his reaction to the misquotations.

I really didn't say everything I said.

YBQ has this saying and references Sports Illustrated March 17, 1986.

Here is a cite a bit earlier.

Cite: 1986 February 24, Newsday [Nassau and Suffolk Edition], "Color
Yogi a Happy Guy; Now wearing Astros' rainbow uniform, Berra's
relaxed, popular" by Steve Marcus, Section Sports, Start Page 92, Long
Island, New York. (ProQuest)

Berra was unveiled to the Southwest in the Astros' winter caravan.
"Here he was a Hall of Famer coming down to the backwoods of Texas,"
publicist Rob Matwick said. "He was the most single sought-out person.
He led the team in stares."

Fans hung on Berra's every word, hoping for a Berra-ism, many of which
have been said by others but attributed to Yogi. "I really didn't say
everything I said," Berra said, creating another original.

Garson