"spa" = 'neighborhood grocery store', aka 'convenience store'? (UNCLASSIFIED)

Eoin C Bairéad ebairead at GMAIL.COM
Tue Mar 1 13:17:14 UTC 2011

If a furriner might be allow comment.

People might like to check the Dutch chain of small grocery shops called De
Spar, called simply SPAR in England & places colonised by England.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spar_(retailer)

Eoin

2011/2/28 Mullins, Bill AMRDEC <Bill.Mullins at us.army.mil>

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       "Mullins, Bill AMRDEC" <Bill.Mullins at US.ARMY.MIL>
> Subject:      Re: "spa" = 'neighborhood grocery store', aka 'convenience
>              store'? (UNCLASSIFIED)

> Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
> Caveats: NONE
>

> [display adv] _The Tech_ [MIT Student paper] 4/6/1893 p. i
> "225 WASHINGTON ST., next door to Thompson's Spa."
> http://tech.mit.edu/V12/PDF/N25.pdf
>

> _Boston Evening Transcript_ 6/29/1903 p 11 col 1
> "Clarke's American spa sells plain soda at ten cents gold or twenty-five
> cents (dos reales) "Mex." "  [about commerce in the Phillipines]
> http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=r5c-AAAAIBAJ&sjid=JVoMAAAAIBAJ&dq=r
> estaurant%20spa&pg=6693%2C4153448
>

> _Lewiston Evening Journal_ [Lewiston, ME] 5/25/1938 p. 1 col 7
> "The College Spa was badly damaged, the Progressive Auto Supply store
> was filled with smoke and two escaped unharmed, when fire broke out at 4
> o'clock Wednesday morning in the two-story wooden block which houses the
> two businesses on upper Maine street."
> http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=pzgjAAAAIBAJ&sjid=LmoFAAAAIBAJ&dq=c
> ollege-spa&pg=5416%2C4470620
>

> _Daytona Beach [FL] Morning Journal_ 4/5/1941 p 1 col 8
> "Mrs. Mayo, who with two sisters runs the "Triple Spa," a Richmond
> restaurant and store, said in corss-examination that "never" had Joss,
> in their friendship of less than a month, given any hint that he plotted
> to harm Mrs. Joss."
> http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=BGsoAAAAIBAJ&sjid=AccEAAAAIBAJ&dq=r
> estaurant%20spa&pg=1692%2C4235860
>

> _Lewiston Daily Sun_ [Lewiston, ME] 12/10/1947 p. 2 col 4
>
> "The winning men's team was awarded sundaes at the college Spa."
> http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=aZkgAAAAIBAJ&sjid=WWgFAAAAIBAJ&dq=c
> ollege-spa&pg=4247%2C6831632

Eoin C. Bairéad
Dublin, Ireland