1899 "spa" as restaurant featuring a soda fountain

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Tue Mar 1 20:45:24 UTC 2011

Following up on Bill's early quotations and using his approach into
Google News Archive, I searched for "spa" + "convenience" +
"store".   (Bill searched for "spa" + "grocery".)  Bill had a
business name on Washington St. in 1893, then a soda fountain in 1903.

The Southbridge Journal [Worcester Co., Mass.], 1899 Jul 13, page 2, col. 5.

    "The 'Imperial Spa,' recently established at the corner of Main
and Elm streets ... is bound to become the popular resort for
suburban visitors as well as Worcester's business men and all others
who want metropolitan cooking, service and convenience at popular prices.
    "Whatever good taste could suggest and money could buy in the way
of modern appointments and facilities are in the equipment of this
establishment, including a handsome soda fountain. The services of
two well known and experienced caterers, a gentleman and a lady, with
trained attendants have been secured, and the new Imperial Spa has
begun its career with a flattering recognition by the local public."

[I note "gentleman" and "lady" "caterers", instead of "fry cooks" or
"hash slingers"; and "trained attendants" instead of surly "wait-persons".]

If "spa" came to Worcester County in 1899, I have to believe it was
in Boston (Washington Street?) earlier.  And the text reads as though
it was already expected that a "spa" would have a soda
fountain.  ("Soda-fountain" as an apparatus, 1824, a Boston
newspaper; as a counter or establishment, 1848, Knickerbocker magazine. OED2.)

[Of course, Google News Archives claims RV accommodations near Hot
Springs are described in a 1778 news item.]

Joel

At 2/28/2011 04:49 PM, Mullins, Bill AMRDEC wrote:
>[display adv] _The Tech_ [MIT Student paper] 4/6/1893 p. i
>"225 WASHINGTON ST., next door to Thompson's Spa."
>http://tech.mit.edu/V12/PDF/N25.pdf
>

>_Boston Evening Transcript_ 6/29/1903 p 11 col 1
>"Clarke's American spa sells plain soda at ten cents gold or twenty-five
>cents (dos reales) "Mex." "  [about commerce in the Phillipines]
>http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=r5c-AAAAIBAJ&sjid=JVoMAAAAIBAJ&dq=r
>estaurant%20spa&pg=6693%2C4153448
[etc.]