"spa" = 'neighborhood grocery store', aka 'convenience store'? (UNCLASSIFIED)

Lynne Murphy m.l.murphy at SUSSEX.AC.UK
Wed Mar 2 12:19:15 UTC 2011

I'm glad someone's mentioned this, as it's all I could think of in reading
this thread. SPAR was my local shop in Johannesburg and is so again in
southern England, and of course both dialects pronounce it without the 'r'.

Though apparently the name was originally an acronym, to do with the
cooperative nature of the company, it's cognate with the word for 'save'
(as in 'save money') in a lot of Germanic languages. It was founded in
Holland in the 30s and came to the UK in 1957, so the timing doesn't seem
right to have affected the US usage, but could there be any relation
between 'spa' and 'savings'?

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spar_(retailer)>

Lynne

--On 01 March 2011 13:17 +0000 Eoin C Bairéad <ebairead at GMAIL.COM> wrote:

> If a furriner might be allow comment.
>
> People might like to check the Dutch chain of small grocery shops called
> De Spar, called simply SPAR in England & places colonised by England.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spar_(retailer)
>
> Eoin
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spar_(retailer)>
>
> 2011/2/28 Mullins, Bill AMRDEC <Bill.Mullins at us.army.mil>

>> -----------------------
>> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>> Poster:       "Mullins, Bill AMRDEC" <Bill.Mullins at US.ARMY.MIL>
>> Subject:      Re: "spa" = 'neighborhood grocery store', aka 'convenience
>>              store'? (UNCLASSIFIED)

>> -------
>>
>> Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
>> Caveats: NONE
>>

>> [display adv] _The Tech_ [MIT Student paper] 4/6/1893 p. i
>> "225 WASHINGTON ST., next door to Thompson's Spa."
>> http://tech.mit.edu/V12/PDF/N25.pdf
>>

>> _Boston Evening Transcript_ 6/29/1903 p 11 col 1
>> "Clarke's American spa sells plain soda at ten cents gold or twenty-five
>> cents (dos reales) "Mex." "  [about commerce in the Phillipines]
>> http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=r5c-AAAAIBAJ&sjid=JVoMAAAAIBAJ&dq=r
>> estaurant%20spa&pg=6693%2C4153448
>>

>> _Lewiston Evening Journal_ [Lewiston, ME] 5/25/1938 p. 1 col 7
>> "The College Spa was badly damaged, the Progressive Auto Supply store
>> was filled with smoke and two escaped unharmed, when fire broke out at 4
>> o'clock Wednesday morning in the two-story wooden block which houses the
>> two businesses on upper Maine street."
>> http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=pzgjAAAAIBAJ&sjid=LmoFAAAAIBAJ&dq=c
>> ollege-spa&pg=5416%2C4470620
>>

>> _Daytona Beach [FL] Morning Journal_ 4/5/1941 p 1 col 8
>> "Mrs. Mayo, who with two sisters runs the "Triple Spa," a Richmond
>> restaurant and store, said in corss-examination that "never" had Joss,
>> in their friendship of less than a month, given any hint that he plotted
>> to harm Mrs. Joss."
>> http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=BGsoAAAAIBAJ&sjid=AccEAAAAIBAJ&dq=r
>> estaurant%20spa&pg=1692%2C4235860
>>

>> _Lewiston Daily Sun_ [Lewiston, ME] 12/10/1947 p. 2 col 4
>>
>> "The winning men's team was awarded sundaes at the college Spa."
>> http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=aZkgAAAAIBAJ&sjid=WWgFAAAAIBAJ&dq=c
>> ollege-spa&pg=4247%2C6831632

Dr M Lynne Murphy
Senior Lecturer in Linguistics
Director of English Language and Linguistics
School of English
Arts B348
University of Sussex
Brighton BN1 9QN