spa

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Wed Mar 2 18:29:05 UTC 2011

At 3/2/2011 11:54 AM, Joan H. Hall wrote:
>DARE's definition:
>Any of var usu small establishments where food and drink are sold; a
>restaurant, tavern, soda fountain, or, esp recently, convenience store.

All-inclusive!

May I respectfully suggest that the OED add this to its current
senses under "spa, n."?  Bill Mullins had 1893 in a business name, I
had 1899 describing a restaurant with a soda fountain (although "spa"
still only in the business name), Bill had 1903 as a place selling
soda.  What we don't have (good and early quotations for) is "spa"
clearly as "convenience store".

Joel