personnel, sing. PLUS dark sayings of the vox populi

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Mar 2 19:57:51 UTC 2011

CNN reports that "at least one American military personnel has been killed"
in a shooting at the Frankfurt airport.  Not the first time I've encountered
this usage.

A few days CNN reported on the criminal case against Mayor Oscar Hernandez
of tiny Bell, Calif., the dedicated public servant who allegedly paid
himself $800,000 per annum - just a little more than his Chief of Police,
who was making considerably more than the less-than-100%-effective L.A.
Chief of Police

According to prosecutors, Hernandez had a little motto: "Pigs get fat. Hogs
get slaughtered."  That allegedly means he thought of himself as only a nice
greedy pig, not a disgusting avaricious hog that should get what it
deserves.

In an unrelated development, one of the guests at a wedding a few days back
sidled up to me and said with a twinkle, "Marriage! The only game that
starts with two hearts and a diamond and ought to end with a club and a
spade!"

"Dark," I said.  "Very dark."

JL