Before someone beats me to the punch...

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Mar 3 14:42:03 UTC 2011

At 3:29 AM -0800 3/3/11, Margaret Lee wrote:
>The 'my bad' nouning of adjective does not seem to fit the generic
>plural form. Your examples seem to refer to humans, animals, and
>things? --Margaret Lee

Right; I don't think that's part of the same productive process at
all.  We don't get "a bad" (or at least not freely) meaning "a bad
thing".  AHD4 has "weighing the bad against the good", both involving
mass nouns (cf. "Don't let the best be the enemy of the good"), but
"I did (him) a bad" seems marked.   "My bad" strikes me as sui
generis.

LH