That's all she wrote antedatings

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Fri Mar 4 13:53:12 UTC 2011

A documented 1942 currency, in civilian contexts, makes it very unlikely
that the phrase was inspired - as is often said - by the "Dear John letter."

I did not find either expression in print - alone or in combination - before
1945 or so.

JL