"spoofy" and "shimming" in Utah, 1919

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Mar 7 01:09:22 UTC 2011

If, as has been alleged, "jazz" was sex slang before it was zest and music
slang, that fact may well have escaped the notice of editors in 1912 and
later.

Such a word would *never* have appeared in public print in that
era. So knowledge of it could only have come from conversation.  If the word
was relatively new - say ten or twenty years old for the sake of argument -
and largely restricted to the red-light district of just one or two big
cities - it is perfectly possible that the few early journalists quoted (and
even the Original Dixieland Jazz Band) knew nothing about it.

Once it became associated publicly with energy and music, there would be no
reason not to print it.

Because of the social and media taboos of the period, the question will
probably remain moot.

I agree that the weight of the evidence now is that the sexual
meaning is secondary, but the pre-existence of "jasm" in a sexual as well as
a non-sexual sense, plus the relatively early assertion of a sexual meaning
(i.e., not many decades later as is the case of many false etymological
claims) leaves its primacy as a real possibility, IMO.

JL