"Neurotic, adj. sense 4, 1907, antedates 1917--

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Mon Mar 7 02:28:14 UTC 2011

At 3/6/2011 04:11 PM, Jonathan Lighter wrote:
>2 and 4 seem to me to say virtually the same thing.
>But because 3 is applied to persons, the meaning is different.

In "2. Of the nature of a neurosis.", there seems to be something
essential, inherent in the relationship between the adjective and the
noun -- the quotes include "neurotic ailments", "neurotic disorder",
"neurotic Illnesses".

In "4. Symptomatic of or associated with a neurosis; characteristic
of a neurotic. Also in extended use.", the relationship is not
inherent -- quotes include "neurotic-asthmatic-erotic lamenting",
"neurotic tendencies", etc.

However:

1)  Under sense 2, I wonder about:

1866    A. Brewster St. Martin's Summer 95   The climate, from its
lively action on the skin, and the variety of impressions it makes on
the body and mind, is capitally suited for alleviating the suffering
arising from every kind of neurotic intermittent produced by mental causes.

Is this perhaps instead sense 1, "Acting on the nerves; designating
such an action"?  Does "intermittent" refers to a nerve
impulse?  (That meaning is not in the OED.)  And the 1866 date looks
a little out of time for sense 2.

2)   Under sense 4, there are a couple of "neurotic symptoms" -- 1917
and 1989.  Might these be better placed under sense 2?

Joel