jerk = 'stupid person' (1928)

Mon Mar 7 06:38:19 UTC 2011

Historical Dictionary of American Slang has:
jerk 2 n b. a male masturbator - usu. considered vulgar [Perh. the orig. sense]

The first HDAS cite is 1938. Here is a citation that may be dated 1935:

Cite: 1935, The Urologic and Cutaneous Review: Volume 39, GB Page 876,
Urologic & Cutaneous Press. (Google Books snippet; Not verified on
paper; Volume 39 is dated 1935 according to library catalog; Date
probes look ok)

He was frequently called a "jerk" by his brother-in-law, referring to
his masturbation.

http://books.google.com/books?id=nwlEAAAAYAAJ&q=jerk#search_anchor

It appears that this case study is retold with slightly different wording later.

Mental Therapy by Louis S. London (maybe 1937)

He was frequently called a "jerk" by his brother-in-law, the term
referring to his masturbation.

http://books.google.com/books?id=f2bH40RuA-UC&q=jerk#search_anchor

This is later than the 1928 citation, but perhaps this sense was less
likely to be printed or put into a song.