jerk = 'stupid person' (1928)

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Mar 7 14:03:09 UTC 2011

To my ear, McClintock unmistakably sings "Turk," just as he did when I first
heard the recording many years ago.

There's no additional context for HDAS's 1919 "jerk" except to say that the
guy with the nickname was real, had passed a U.S. army physical, and was
then sent overseas. His words suggest goofiness, though it is impossible to
specify just what kind. But I think we can reasonably rule out any gross
medical condition.

I included the cite without brackets partly for that reason and partly
because my grandfather (b. 1884), whose favorite insult this was, had
assured me in the late '50s that he'd been using it from long before
the First World War. (In fact, "jerk" and  - rarely - "son of a
bitch" were practically his *only* insults - so it was deeply ingrained.)

If "jerk" had had any specific vulgar connotations to him, he certainly
didn't say so, nor would he have. He grew up in Manhattan in a
lower-middle-class neighborhood.

This is another ex. of a word that may not have gotten into print for a long
time because it had long been considered indecent.

JL