moon substance

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Mar 9 00:32:31 UTC 2011

At 6:10 PM -0500 3/8/11, Jonathan Lighter wrote:
>The long esses show that the date is probably more or less correct.
>
>"Green cheese" is the only version I'm faniliar with.
>
>JL

My theory about this has always been that the original version of the
theory did indeed involve the moon being made of "cream cheese", but
pronounced "cream CHEESE", as I assumed (without any evidence) was
the standard British pronunciation, but that when it crossed the
pond, where "cream cheese" (at least when you shmear it on a bagel)
always gets compound (CREAM cheese) stress, it was reinterpreted as a
theory about the moon being made of green CHEESE.

As I say, idle speculation, but that's always the best kind, even on the moon.

LH