saucering tea

Thu Mar 10 05:11:49 UTC 2011

In 2008 Ben Zimmer initiated a thread on the ADS list by posting about
pouring coffee into a saucer to cool it. His note pointed to an
article in the New York Times "After the Imperial Presidency" dated
November 7, 2008. Here is an excerpt:

"Why did you pour that coffee into your saucer?" Washington reportedly replied.
"To cool it," Jefferson answered.
"Even so," Washington said, "we pour our legislation into the
senatorial saucer to cool it."

http://listserv.linguistlist.org/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ADS-L;7NSNhw;200811092313420500B
Short version:
http://goo.gl/u5k5z