Hand to God

Fri Mar 11 19:11:16 UTC 2011

Playwright Tennessee Williams used "right hand to God". In Genesis
"raised my hand to the LORD" is associated with taking an oath.

Kingdom of earth: the seven descents of Myrtle
Tennessee Williams – 1968 (Google Books snippet; not verified on paper)
CHICKEN: This looks like a genuine license to me.
MYRTLE: I give you my right hand to God! - That thing is fake!
CHICKEN: Don't give me your right hand to God. I don't want it and He
don't want it neither. Nobody wants your right or left hand to
nothing.

Genesis 14:22
New International Version 1984
But Abram said to the king of Sodom, "I have raised my hand to the
LORD, God Most High, Creator of heaven and earth, and have taken an
oath
King James Bible
And Abram said to the king of Sodom, I have lift up mine hand unto the
LORD, the most high God, the possessor of heaven and earth,