nekkid

victor steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Sat Mar 12 05:07:49 UTC 2011

OED has nekkid with quotations from 1977 forward.

nekkid, adj.
Pronunciation:  Brit.    /ˈnɛkɨd/ , U.S. /ˈnɛkɪd/
Etymology:  Representing a regional or humorous pronunciation of naked
adj.... (Show More)
U.S. colloq. (chiefly humorous or euphem.).

  Esp. of a person: naked, nude. Often in sexually suggestive or
salacious contexts.

1977    Washington Post (Nexis) 14 Apr. g1   He is not so fond of
statues (those ‘bulls and Greeks and lots of nekkid broads’, as he
once described them).
1986    Chicago Tribune (Nexis) 13 Jan.,   Playgirl's February feature
on ‘America's Sexiest DJs’ includes Lin Brehmer of WXRT-FM and
Jonathon Brandmeier of WLUP-FM, neither of them nekkid.
1994    N.Y. Mag. 22 Aug. 29/1   She mails nekkid pictures of herself
to Playboy, whose editors transform her into a Playmate.
2000    Out May 40/1   This Memorial Day weekend, a group of nekkid
gay men will be gathering for four days of square dancing.

There are exactly 38 actual hits (43 with spurious ones included, 77
raw) in GB. I am including the earliest two plus one (or
three-depending how you look at it) that may be worth for interdating.
It's clear that the majority of hits prior to the 1990s were
illustrative of either BEV or army vernacular. The more recent
examples are more mixed. I skipped three works of fiction dated 1914
and two 1919. It seems the only period that has no relevant quotations
between 1894 and 2009 is the inter-war period. The 1994 OED example
concerns Anna Nicole Smith--both the 1994 and the 2000 examples are in
GB.

http://goo.gl/GmIpo
The Windsor magazine, Volume 7. [April or May] 1898
The Destroyers. By W. F. Shannon. p. 557
"But how the devil do you expect me to fight when I'm nekkid? And you
don't expose that I'm goin' to wear anything else than a cutlass, do
ye?"

http://goo.gl/sawH8
Romance: A Monthly Magazine of Complete Stories. Volume 13. February 1894
"Dat Foot Race." By Henry Clay Fairman. p. 170
"Dat's just 'bout what Bill Nort'n tole me, boss," continued Uncle
Jake, changing his position and puffing a cloud of smoke. "En it 'pear
lak to me I didn't know whut to do. Ef I gib 'im my nekkid back I know
'e gwine gib me de very debbul en no 'mount uh beggin' gwine do no
good. ..."

http://goo.gl/c9YoK
Life. September 11, 1944
Pin-up Art Gets Sly Disapproval. Army Newspaper crusades against girl pictures.
Aug. 9. p. 17/1
What a shock he's going to get when he learn we do not approve of
these pictures of half-nekkid women and are only running this to show
our reader what we mean by our pledge.
Aug. 10. p. 18/2
Today we illustrate another type of pin-up feature, the
"Miss-Whoozis-of-1944" School of leg art which serves some papers with
a flimsy excuse for running pictures of half-nekkid women.
Aug. 12. p. 18/2
Today, in the third of a series of straight-forward articles, we
denounce the "Sweetheart of-the-Regiment" School of pin-up art which
has bamboozled many an editor into running pictures of half-nekkid
women.

VS-)