eye dialect was RE: nekkid

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Mar 14 13:15:52 UTC 2011

Wikipedia is correct though idiotically expressed.

"Eye dialect" means nonstandard spelling that's intended to show that a
character is ignorant and illiterate, regardless of the phonetic accuracy of
the spelling itself.

A prime example of eye dialect in the USA would be "uv" for "of."  Few
Americans make that distinction.  OTOH, in Irish dialogue written for
Americans, "uv" is a reasonable, if distracting, approximation; in other
words, not eye dialect.

For some, "nekkid" is pointless eye dialect for "naked" - pointless because
that's how almost everybody across a vast region says it.  To me, it isn't
eye-dialect because it represents a nonstandard pronunciation.

Now, if somebody suddenly realized just how ignorant and illiterate *I* am,
and, to prove it, represented me as saying "nekkid" instead of /nEikId/ that
would be eye dialect, regardless of what it would be for Wilson and Charlie.

(Actually they'd nail it for eye dialect because they know that, back where
I come from, /nEikId/ is normal; also, I've already told them I say
/nEikId/.)

JL