more "Limerick" quotes

Stephen Goranson goranson at DUKE.EDU
Wed Mar 16 11:44:17 UTC 2011

Thanks, Garson, for that good find. Another possibility from Columbia is the student periodical _Acta Columbiana_. According to _John Kendrick Bangs: Humorist of the Nineties_ by F.H. Bangs (NY: Knopf, 1941) 36-55, Bangs published in it verse that we (later) would call Limericks. And, as editor (1882-1883), came to the notice of the Punch editor, Henry Cuyler Bunner. But I don't know if he called them "limericks" that early, and, the _Acta_ has not been scanned, as far as I know.

Stephen
From: American Dialect Society [ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Garson O'Toole [adsgarsonotoole at GMAIL.COM]
Sent: Tuesday, March 15, 2011 10:08 AM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: [ADS-L] more "Limerick" quotes

Thanks for the post, Stephen. The Printer's Ink citation is great.
Here is a later cite that may interest others. Unfortunately, the
precise date is not clear to me, but I think it is before the
important Broadway magazine and Notes and Queries cites in 1898.

Cite: [Date not given; Probably before June 30, 1898 see below], The
Morningside, Volume 3, Page 126, Columbia College, New York. (Google
Books snippet; HathiTrust full view)

The following Limerick, technically so-called, is quite worthy of the
pen which produced "The Purple Cow." We wish we could reproduce the
illustration; it is illuminating:

"THIS INFANT, - the fat one who squints, -
Is really a Japanese Quince.
  The other, I guess,
  Is a Chinese Quincess
Grafted on from a Louis Seize chintz."

HathiTrust shows the full text. This link points to the volume and not
the page. Search for limerick to find the page:
http://hdl.handle.net/2027/nyp.33433075982516

Google Books only shows snippets:
http://books.google.com/books?id=8-MSAAAAIAAJ&q=limerick#search_anchor

I was unable to locate a date for the periodical. The word limerick
appears on page 126. On page 138 there is text that looks like an
advertisement for an "Annual Regatta" that contains the dates: "June
30th and July 1st, 1898." In addition, an advertisement on Page 139
for Brooks Brothers mentions "Spring and Summer 1898". This is
evidence that the issue was published before June 30, 1898.
Garson