Jazz, was:RE: [ADS-L] Q: "Earliest written reference to baseball"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Mar 16 16:39:03 UTC 2011

The Concise Scots Dictionary restricts _jass_, n., to Aberdeenshire from the
19th C. on.
It doesn't include the verb, which suggests that its use was pretty rare.

The verb could, in theory, lend itself to a sexual meaning (cf. _bonk_,
though that's obviously much later). But _jass_, v., is awfully obscure. No
evidence seems to exist of U.S. "jazz" in a corresponding sense ('to strike,
slug, etc.') that might be dragooned into support for a relationship

I didn't allude to _jass_ in HDAS because of the remoteness of
the relationship between
NE Scotland in the 19th C. and the U.S. West Coast in 1912. I don't think
there's any likelihood, based on available evidence, that Scots _jass_ is
related to -jazz_.

JL