the cart or the horse?

victor steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Thu Mar 17 16:54:32 UTC 2011

This is actually kind of interesting for two reasons. In this
particular instance, the media is being blamed for getting their
priorities screwed up. Yet, for most right-wing commentators,
particularly Glenn Beck, Obama's priorities may well be described as
"putting the cart before the horse", as they want him to be agonizing
over global issues rather than playing golf and paying attention to
college basketball. And yet another group of conservatives (e.g., a
column in the lunatic Washington Examiner) things that it's the
critics who got the cart before the horse--since the critics already
believe that Obama is a horrible president, shouldn't they be glad
that he's immersed in golf and basketball instead of "screwing up"
international developments?

The whole media preoccupation with Obama's basketball picks is quite
laughable and the viewer's sentiment quite understandable. But, in the
light of other interpretations of these events, is it any wonder that
his metaphor does not map "correctly"?

VS-)