status quo = 'situation'

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Fri Mar 18 17:21:38 UTC 2011

I think the issue is what "means" means.

The speaker chose to say "status quo" when the obvious choice for most of us
(i.e., me) should have been "situation" or "long-term situation," etc.

On the basis of the evidence, that's what he "meant."

While it may be true that the kind of sitch he's talking about could also be
described as a "stalemate," "status quo" would not *mean* "stalemate" in a
dictionary sense except in
statements such as:

1. *Nobody's winning! It's a status quo!

Now there certainly are statements such as the following, in which "status
quo" *refers* to a stalemate:

2. "What's been happening on the Western Front the past four years?"
"Nothing much. Status quo."

In 2, "status quo" means 'an existing situation that hasn't changed,' which,
in this context, implies an actual stalemate.Status quo," under certain
circumstances, can allude to a stalemate, but I don't believe it ever
*means* "stalemate," because I don't believe that *anyone* who would say 2
would also say 1.

Unless they were very weird. So "status quo" doesn't "mean" stalemate.

JL