Mark Twain's profanity

victor steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Fri Mar 18 19:59:23 UTC 2011

Yes, "deep in the shit", "deep in the doo-doo", "deep in shit" and
"deep in doo/poo/kimchee" are all there, but I am not sure they are
the same. For one, the phrases I covered were all interchangeably "in
the X" and "deep in the X". "Deep" just made them more emphatic. I am
not convinced that "deep in the shit" can be equivalently contracted
to "in the shit", but that might just be a personal stylistic
preference. Perhaps I'm just making a mountain out of a cow pile.

In contrast, the "soup/stew/juice/sauce" and "weeds" may be closer
paralleled by "swamp/muck", as in "deep in the muck" and "in the
swamp" (with variants "Y-deep in the X" for swamp/muck that actually
*are* similar to shit/doo-doo, but I am yet to find "knee-deep in the
soup", or similar).

There is also "[deep/down] in the dumps", but that's a different
meaning (usually either depressed or economically poor, not
"overwhelmed"). This one also may be closer to "shit". But the kitchen
metaphors and "weeds" simply don't cross over.

VS-)