status quo = 'situation'

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Fri Mar 18 21:26:01 UTC 2011

You may be right, Victor. But surely my sense that there's something very
odd about the usage isn't entirely idiosyncratic?

Ideally a dictionary definition should be completely substitutable for the
word defined.  "The possibility of an entrenched existing situation"?  I
don't think so. "Status" would  work - but would be just as peculiar.

To me, "What's the status quo?" is almost ungrammatical. "What was the
status quo?" is fine.

The "status quo" seems usually to be something you either want to get back
to or get away from, not something that merely exists. In my Western Front
example, "status quo" makes sense not because it means the "existing
situation," period; it implies that the situation is the same as it was
*before,* in this case for the past three years.  "An entrenched status
quo," at least in the context of the quotation, refers to a future
possibility rather than anything in the past (from the perspective of now,
of course).

Whether or not I've identified the specific problem correctly, I still
believe that the exampled usage is semantically odd, and that the OED
definition is overly broad. (Cf., perhaps, the subtleties of "anymore.")

JL