Patton's "dumb bastard"

Sat Mar 19 02:15:18 UTC 2011

Here is a version in 1918 of the same sentiment delivered by an
anonymous "old fellow". GB has even older interesting citations but
subjectively the meaning is somewhat different. I will post one if I
find a good one.

Gas age: Volume 41
June 15, 1918

An old fellow spoke thus to a recruit going to the front who said he
was ready to die for his country : "Son, we want the other fellow to
die for his country and you come back."

http://books.google.com/books?id=nKnmAAAAMAAJ&q=%22old+fellow%22#v=snippet&