Nigger vs. Colored, et al.

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sat Mar 19 19:20:20 UTC 2011

On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 8:25 PM, Michael Newman
<michael.newman at qc.cuny.edu> wrote:

> in current usage for many speakers, the form nigga has no racial reference. It's essentially         > dude, but for a different demographic.

Being, like Dave Chappelle, a nigger who uses "nigger" a lot, let me
say rather, that as everything else in life, it depends. The
trickeration of spelling or of pronunciation is not what matters.

And, as you yourself point out, you're working with children.

BTW, you're not related to the late Edwin Newman, who wrote that the
insertion of _like_ into the flow of a sentence or conversation was
the due to the influence of the speech of Negroes, are you?

--
-Wilson
-----