Need a word!

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Sat Mar 19 23:50:18 UTC 2011

I suggested "grower" previously and I stand by it. Here's the latest:

http://goo.gl/vAFd2
WSJ,  ON WINE [column], MARCH 19, 2011
The Most Powerful _Grower_ in Napa , by Lettie Teague
> According to Napa _grape_grower_ Andy Beckstoffer, the time of
> legendary men may be over. "The vineyards are the next Robert Mondavi.
> The vineyards are what matters," he said.
> Unlike many _growers_, Mr. Beckstoffer only sells grapes to other
> wineries; he doesn't make wine himself. "That's an entirely different
> business," he said. It simplifies matters and reduces expenses and
> also answers the inevitable question about _growers_ who also make
> wine from their grapes: Don't they keep the best fruit for themselves?

"Grower" is fairly generic and "grape grower" or "wine grower" certainly
helps to clarify it. But, most of the time, when talking about wine and
vineyards, just "grower" is what's used.

     VS-)