Virus warning!

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Sun Mar 20 18:20:43 UTC 2011

Joel is right, except "some" may well be "all" browsers, under the right
circumstances--you just need to get the correct settings. In some the
full URL shows up in the bubble next to the cursor, in others it shows
up on the status bad at the bottom of the window (unless you have too
much junk there, like weather forecasts). In most cases, it's just
flipping a switch in the options. In addition, there may be some
extensions in Firefox, Chrome and Safari that do this even more
directly. If you're using Thunderbird, it now also has extensions and
you can see the links at the bottom of the window. I don't know about
Outlook or Eudora--I haven't used either one in 6 years or more.

Here's another one virus email that I got--this is the entire content of
the email, again, with two characters replaced with asterisks.

> lacasettastu**o.it/dir.php

There was no subject head, no other content and it came from someone I
know. [This one, however, is not shortened.] Under such circumstances,
ALWAYS assume that it's a virus or a phishing email. Check with the
sender if you're not sure, but it's always better to avoid clicking.
Wilson is the only one I know who posts naked links deliberately, but he
has an elaborate and inimitable signature, so it's not a big concern.

In addition, all virus and security breach WARNING messages that arrive
with links ARE viruses themselves. It's an interesting idea, but I can't
believe anyone would fall for it. The last thing financial institutions
and ISPs want to do when your account has been breached is to send you a
link so that you can enter all that information.

     VS-)