Perdue (not Frank either)

Mon Mar 21 02:57:17 UTC 2011

Here is an example of this motif of humor with a reference back to the
Reader's Digest in 1952. The barb is directed at an anonymous
University of Pennsylvania applicant instead of a Purdue (Perdue)
student:

Cite: 1978, Statistical Survey Techniques, GB Page 480, John Wiley &
Sons, New York. (Google snippet; Not verified on paper; Reader's
Digest cite not verified; Data may be inaccurate)

An applicant at the University of Pennsylvania filling out an entrance
form came to the question, "Are you a natural-born citizen of the
U.S.?" He puzzled a while, then wrote: "No - Caesarean" - (Readers
Digest, June 1952).

http://books.google.com/books?id=g2RdAAAAIAAJ&q=Caesarean#search_anchor

The topic of interpreting the term "natural born" in the Constitution
with respect to the cesarean procedure has been mentioned in legal
circles since 1980 (and probably before) with varying degrees of
levity.

Cite: 1980, Democracy and Distrust: a Theory of Judicial Review by
John Hart Ely, Page 13, Harvard University Press. (Google Books
preview)

At one extreme - for example the requirement that the President "have
attained to the Age of thirty five years" - the language is so clear
that a conscious reference to purpose seems unnecessary. Other
provisions, such as the one requiring that the President be a "natural
born Citizen." may need a reference to historical usage so as to
exclude certain alternative constructions - conceivably if improbably
here, a requirement of legitimacy (or illegitimacy!) or non-Caesarian
birth - but once that "dictionary function" is served, the provision
becomes relatively easy to apply.

http://books.google.com/books?id=pS3tro08BFcC&q=Caesarian#v=snippet&

Cite: 1988, [Third Printing 1991] Interpreting Law and Literature: a
Hermeneutic Reader by Sanford Levinson and Steven Mailloux,
Northwestern University Press, Evanston, Illinois. (Google Preview)

She would not know whether the phrase, "No person except a natural
born Citizen . . . shall be eligible to the Office of President," [18]
disqualified persons born abroad or those born by Caesarean section.

http://books.google.com/books?id=-RGbESCXiIMC&q=Caesarean#v=snippet&