Jass 1913

Stephen Goranson goranson at DUKE.EDU
Tue Mar 22 12:26:40 UTC 2011

Thanks. The proposed reading of "Jass!" here (in this brief article also including "rag-time") as a rare variant of "yes"  admittedly is a plausible possibility. But is it the only possibility? Do we have enough data? Is, e.g., the "curious" claim a real quote from an earlier Columbia State? Is "Jass" as "nonsense" possible here ("how long down the man higher up is")?
Also in 1913 [6 Mar S F Bulletin]: "The team which speeded into town this morning comes pretty close to representing the pick of the army. Its members have trained on ragtime and 'jazz'." Are "ragtime" and "jazz" used here in musical senses?  If yes, why the claim that musical "jazz" is first attested later in Chicago? And if not musical? I don't have the full context: is this army [this team, then] good or bad? OED ragtime 2 slang presents ragtime armies as "disorderly, disreputable." Is that relevant? Also OED ragtime 2 slang gives "[1913    Flight 12 Apr. 416/1   A pilot who flies unsteadily is a ‘rag-timer’.]" [[[[Unsteady flight--a little bit like a 1912 [jazz/jass] pitch claimed to "wobble"?]]]]

Stephen Goranson
http://www.duke.edu/~goranson
From: American Dialect Society [ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Cohen, Gerald Leonard [gcohen at MST.EDU]
Sent: Monday, March 21, 2011 6:14 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: [ADS-L] Jass 1913

Buried in my "jazz" notes is a frame in an early 20th century cartoon (pre-1913, IIRC), with "jass" apparently meaning "yes." (Thanks to Barry Popik for sending it to me).  This "jass" is spoken by someone not natively American (in the Katzenjammer Kids?), and I assumed that it is somehow a cross between Geman "ja" and English "yes."  I'll try to locate it when I have time.
      At least until now I didn't attribute any importance to it and therefore didn't bother to include it in my
Comments on Etymology items on the origin of the term "jazz." IAC, I believe Ben is right to reject
"jass" below as referring to music.
----G. Cohen